Monday, March 16, 2009

A Fast Moving Consumable Gora

When I’m in India I listen to The Goon Show on my iPod. Back in England I watch old Amitabh Bachchan films late at night on Channel 4. In the past four years I’ve spent nearly half of them living and working in India, dividing my self between the crown and the jewel.

I’ve become a Fast Moving Consumable Gora. A single white male who exists in two cultures, collecting visa’s and exit stamps, trying to answer the internal question, where is my home?
Don’t get me wrong, I love England. It’s where I was born, where I grew up, where had my first fight and where I first fell in love. It’s my first home. My family live there and I speak the language with indigenous ease. But I miss India, and whenever I’m away from her I feel part of my heart stops, some vital artery becoming clogged by the absence of cows in a busy street.

The two main problems faced by any ‘traveller’ (and I use the expression with extreme caution) are food poisoning and homesickness. Both debilitating and messy, making your stomach ache for familiar comforts.

In India I’ve learnt to eat well, using fresh fruits, parotta, rice, dhal and dosas as the basis of my diet, but I suffer nostalgia at least once a month. It’s a yearning, born from the similarities between these two countries, which to me are as comparable as the differences.

I see reflections of England in India. I see it in newspaper copy and on TV debate shows. In the frenetic confusion at markets and funfairs, and in frustrated glass window of every reluctant train ticket counter. It’s in the buildings, in the politics, in the cities and in the cricket. It’s carved on the face of every tired working man smoking outside a Chai stall.

Then there’s the India I see in England, in the Diwali lanterns I made at nursery school. In the Hindi curses I learnt in playgrounds and in the Aloo Gobi I order in restaurants. In the Asian communities where I live, where I shop and where I am asked to vote for a Chowdhary, a Singh, or a Khan. India wasn’t new to me, it was under discovered, but I’ve always grown up with the taste of spice in my mouth.

So where do I go now? Back and forth, swapping 6month visas for shorthold tenancy agreements. I write this sitting in Kumily, a small hill town on the Kerela and Tamil Nadu boarder, and the birthplace of condiments I have packed up in a box marked ‘Kitchen’. Tomorrow I leave for Munnar, where Tetley Tea comes from, and then back to Kochi, the small but beautifully amalgamated trading port on India’s South West coast.

Everyday I miss England, but I’m still happy in a place where things make sense to me. And when it all gets too much, when the rubber stamped duality shouts at me from the pages of my passport, I think about the packed lunches my mum used to make me at primary school, full of onion bhajees and Kit Kats.

4 comments:

  1. Nice work Ed, will be following this with lots of interest :0) Next time you fancy a trip to Kumily, hit Varkala first and find the guy with the Enfield Thunderbird and drive from there, it's a beautiful ride :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Matt, thanks for posting something.

    I wanted to go to Varkala in Feb but got stuck, very happily, in Kochi. The drive to Kumily on the bus was spiffing and a half, I bet doing it on a Thunderbird would be fookin' magic. Also if I do plummet to my death overtaking a Goods Carrier on a blind corner I'll only have myself to blame.

    Any more biking routes let me know, I'm keen to see more of the north that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be psychic :0) I wasn't going to mention it as I like to imagine myself king of the road and all that, but I actually madet he schoolboy error of trying to overtake one of those.... ona bend...
    Big no no. I now have a pretty scar on one leg to remind me of my cavalier attitude lol! Nothing I've seen so far though has managed to top the sheer lunacy of the buses driving down from Shimla.. Madness.
    I didn't pick up a bike until Rajasthan on my way south, but if you want to do the North on bike, now would be a good time to hit the motorbike and chess mecca that is Pushkar. Lots of bikers there to get route info from and/or team up with, and plenty of opportunities to get a bike too, it's there that I got hooked :0)
    If you liked the feeling of that Bajaj Avenger you so kindly returned to Arambol for me, then you'll love the Thunderbird :0)
    Damn it man, I'd be back there tomorrow if I could, I don't think it'll be too long before head over again, am very jealous ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You brave and slightly foolhardy young man...

    Pushkar, right. That sounds like a plan. I did enjoy riding the Avenger, I'm only short so being able to sit upright and walk it through the chaos of Mapusa on market day was a big bonus.

    Let me know if your ever up for a bike ride.

    ReplyDelete